As much as I enjoyed the extra hour of sleep on Saturday night, the end of daylight savings is always a bit of a turning point in the year.
It reminds me that the days are going to get shorter and shorter from now until 21 June as the weather also gets colder and colder. (Okay, so today is a bit of an anomaly – if it gets to 31 degrees, it will be the hottest April day in Canberra in 30 years – it’s currently at 30.5).
The darker days can also mean that your mood drops and you can start to feel a bit low. Yoga is a great mood-booster – you just need to find the motivation to get to the studio rather than going home and crashing on the couch.
Here are 5 tips to help you stay motivated this autumn:
1. Get your yoga gear out the night before – if you’ve got it with you already, you’ve got one less excuse.
2. Put it into your calendar and set a reminder. It’s much harder to accidentally (or perhaps deliberately) forget about it.
3. Find a buddy – exercising with a friend is one of the best ways to stay motivated. All of a sudden, you’re accountable to someone other than yourself. You don’t want to let your friend down and you encourage each other to get along to yoga.
4. Take a few moments at the end of each session to savour the great feeling that yoga give you.
5. Write down your goals and write down your key motivation. What are you going to get out of it? How would you like to feel? How often are you hoping to come along? Make a commitment to someone, say it aloud and write it down.
Good luck! You can do it.